Friday, August 8, 2008

KUNG FU TRAINING

What makes kung fu movies so fun to watch?
It's the training montages.

It's fun to watch a young man have his understanding and capabilities challenged and increased by a wiser and older mentor. In many ways, that is how the great skillsets of the world are passed on: pickup, smithying, martial arts, sewmanship, sailing, etc. It's a passing on of knowledge. It's great to see someone pushing themselves and hitting the fundamentals OVER and OVER again in ways to increase their abilities.

Unfortunately, I never experienced anything specifically like that beyond classes at school in subjects that ultimately didn't interest me.

In the same way that martial artists do pushups with stones on their backs, I should do pickup with some element of my game missing: voice, expression, BL, kino, eye contact, etc.

Anyway, in case I haven't mentioned it before, this is brain fart week until Wednesday. No likes, uh, um, you know, right, basically, etc. I'm scrapping push-pull month, because I can't multi-focus like that. My brain is too damn simple.

No comments: